Friday, July 18, 2008

Can I have a break please?


It never ceases to amaze that when it rains it pours. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, but whoever said bad news comes in threes was an idiot. Bad news comes in hoards. Start it out with our car. The stinking thing has been broken for months now, and nobody can seem to find the problem. I am fairly convinced that the mechanics that we had enlisted were just assuming that they knew what the problem was. I took it to a guy in Salt Lake City before we moved, he told me a loose hose. I took it to a guy in Denver, he told me a bad O2 sensor. I took it to the SAME guy in Denver and he told me the gas cap was just loose. I took it to a DEALERSHIP, who told me it was a solenoid valve. FINALLY we took it back to the dealership again and they told us, "Oh. There is a hole in the bell housing." NOBODY SAW THIS EARLIER?!?!?!? How does a hole in my transmission escape notice during diagnostics? Incompetence is rampant. Long story short, car has been in the shop for two weeks.
Then take our refrigerator. It decided that it wanted to stop working. So one day everything melts in the freezer, the next day everything freezes instantaneously in the fridge. End result? Nothing was saved.
Then take the little girl at church who we let wear one of our hats, not knowing that she had lice. That's right. We didn't find out until ten hours later that she had it and the hat was sitting in our closet during that entire time. We stayed up until 11:30 on a Sunday night grooming each other like chimps looking for lice. Then we bought a spray that is supposed to kill them, and then on top of that we fogged our room to kill them, good and dead. As if to add insult to injury, that same night our air conditioning decided to break! AT 1:00 AM!!!! Can this be any more ludicrous? Of course it can.
Three nights ago, getting something out of my parents freezer, I decided to drop a frozen piece of meat on my uncovered toe, and now it is entirely black and blue. And OF COURSE it is the toe that I injured playing basketball, you know, the one that has no nail? Yeah.
Now, I repeat that I am NOT COMPLAINING. It's actually really funny when viewed from the right perspective, which is that of somebody else. I would laugh at it if I weren't me. I suppose we deserve it. Do not ask me why, or what we have done, but there must be some reason. I probably deserve it really, and Janette just deserves it for marrying me.
It's been a fun few weeks. I hope everyone can have a good laugh at our misfortune. We only aim to please.

2 comments:

Jack DeAngelis, Ph.D. said...

Seth and Janette,

The image of the louse above comes from my website, www.livingwithbugs.com. All of my content is copyrighted. I don't mind if you use my content but I do ask that permission be granted first and that the image be credited and captioned.
You have my permission to use the image but please add the caption "Head or body louse, copyright LivingWithBugs.com, image used with permission.", or something similar. Thanks.

Stacie said...

You really shouldn't use copyrighted material!